Friday, July 15, 2011

Subtext Textified

Erik and Charles continue to exchange quick messages.

Still on the way to Westchester - 1:10:45 [xmfcUnKnOwN]



Charles,
Ahh, the silence of the unconscious. Well done, Charles.
Erik.


Erik,
Thank you my friend, I felt a need to step in to defend my tenuous grasp of sanity after that ruckus. Despite the moral consequences.
Charles.


Charles,
God forbid anything should snap your tenuous hold on reality. You might have us all believing in the good of man, unicorns, and other equally cheerful fairy tales.
Erik.


Erik,
Ahh, my friend. You may find a reality which entertains the possibility of 'good men' a more satisfying reality to live in. I certainly do.
Charles


Charles,
Reality has enough challenges without blinding myself with delusions. You're welcome to your world; I already know the truth of mine.
Erik.


Erik,
I feel that the version of reality that you've built for yourself is as much of a delusion as you believe mine to be. My only hope my friend is that in time we can both learn better.
Charles


Charles,
I hope so too, Charles.
Erik.
[Before your trust gets you killed, or worse]


Erik,
I have hope, my friend. And faith in them...
Charles
[...and in you.]


Charles,
You really can't help yourself can you?
Erik.


Erik,
No, not really. It's got somethng to do with my iron clad control, and boundless optimism. Everything shall go as planned because I, Charles Francis Xavier, thus declare it. ;)
Charles


Charles,
Can you also declare that you'll stop poking about in people's heads uninvited?
Erik.


Erik,
Sometimes I cannot help but skim particularly vocal thoughts. One, however, doesn't have to be a telepath to ascertain what you are thinking occasionally my friend.
Charles


Charles,
I'm a simple man, with simple wants.
Erik.


Erik,
You are anything but simple Erik. There is so much more to you. I wish you would give yourself a chance to see it.
Charles


Charles,
Are you flirting with me again?
Erik.


Erik,
I didn't mention even once single celled organisms or mutation...
Charles


Charles,
I should hope not. I got that talk from Shaw.
Erik.


Erik,
There is no need to continue to define yourself by his hands. Erik. You are the better man. There is nothing to be ashamed of.
Charles


Charles,
I don't want to talk about it.
Erik.


Erik,
Very well, I am sorry to intrude my friend.
Charles


Erik,
Martini? Chess? I'll let you pick which colour.
Charles


Charles,
I'll make the martinis if you set up the board. You can take the white, my innocent friend.
Erik.


Erik,
I would be happy to. The only issue now lies in putting the kids to bed.
Charles


Charles,
Can't we leave them where they are?
Erik.


Erik,
And deny my sister her chance to show off the house. I am not that brave.
Charles


Charles,
Afraid of your own sister?
Erik.


Erik,
Of course not, well, yes. She could inflict a considerable amount of damage on me.
Charles


Charles,
Don't you believe in the goodness of your sister?
Erik.


Erik,
Of course I do. That's why it would hurt, I love her. And taking her moment from her would be wrong.
Strong heart my friend, we're almost there.
Charles


Charles,
Wake them up when we get there and they can take themselves to wherever. Responsibility over.
Erik.


Erik,
I don't think it's ever going to be over. This is just the beginning. But that plan has merit.
Charles


Charles,
You already know I'm a genius.
Erik.


Erik,
In so many different ways.
Charles


Charles,
It's nice to know I'm appreciated.
Erik.


Erik,
Know that I couldn't do this without you.
Charles


Charles,
You could. But I wouldn't let you.
Erik.


Erik,
It wouldn't be hardly as much fun. Who would I play chess with?
Charles


Charles,
You could always try Bigfoot.
Erik.


Erik,
Hank has an amazing capacity for strategy. I enjoy a challenge, but in the face of overwhelming odds I inevitably lose.
Charles


Charles,
I thought you liked a challenge.
Erik.


Erik,
Of course, but I also enjoy winning. Occasionally. I know you understand.
Charles


Charles,
We all like winning. Regardless, I am here - you are here - in fact, we've arrived. The kids?
Erik.


Erik,
Wonderful. Time for the tour. Finally to put the Xavier mansion to good use. I've woken the kids. Time to pick up that responsibility business. Don't forget our arrangement. Chess and martinis tonight.
Charles


Charles,
I'd appreciate a slightly less...enthusiastic tour while the children run around, if you don't mind.
Erik.


Erik,
It seems they had enough sugar to make this excruciating without candy. It shouldn't take too long to sort out rooms... I haven't been back since I left for Oxford. Nothing seems to have changed.
Charles.


Charles,
Did you expect it to?
Erik.


Erik,
One can hope, but asteroid collisions are unfortunately rare in Westchester. ;)
Charles


Charles,
By the time we're done with it, it will probably resemble one...
Erik.


Erik,
It is a distinct possibility. Drinks cabinet is in the second library. Turn right at the main staircase and it's your second right. I'd love a large scotch.
Charles


Charles,
Second library? And crystal decanters, yes, definitely a hardship to live here...
I'll have your scotch ready for when you're done. Don't let the kids wear you out, mother hen.
Erik.


Erik,
I resent that. Mother hen indeed. *sulk* Make that a double. And make your self at home. After all. It can be, if you want it to be.
Charles


[What? Home? I... No, don't think about it]
Charles,
Face it, we're the 'parents' of these kids - and you're definitely the mother.
Erik.


Erik,
Really? Mother? I was thinking more doting uncle.. Really? Oh well, it probably can't be avoided. Did you find the library?
Charles.


Charles,
Didn't you see how their faces fell when you told them you were disappointed? That's definitely a mother's trick. Yes, thoroughly testing these lounges for comfort. Top scotch, by the way.
Erik.


Erik,
You can thank Kurt for the scotch, he also had quite an appreciation for it. Mmm. Perhaps I was a bit too harsh on them. They are, after all, only teenagers.
Charles


Charles,
Kurt? They needed the reminder. They can't be children, not now, not with Shaw on the loose. Now they know just how much they have to learn, to take this seriously. Because if they don't, they're going to die.
Erik.


Erik,
You're certainly a fountain of optimism and joy at the moment my friend, perhaps you should swap to the martinis. But yes. I do fully understand. It's the reaason we are here. To train, to learn to control. To work as a team. I have no intention of throwing these children at Shaw defenseless. We have time and we will make it count. ...Kurt was my stepfather.
Charles.


Charles,
I don't think optimism and joy have ever been associated with me, and thanks but I'll wait until you can join me. It wasn't meant as a criticism anyway - I've noticed you tend to feel bad for doing the right thing if it hurts other people's feelings. You've got to accept that it's sometimes necessary. At any rate, as long as they push themselves...they can and will learn to defend themselves and each other.
You've never mentioned him before.
Erik.


Erik,
Very rousing, perhaps you should be the 'Professor Magneto'. You are right of course. It simply becomes difficult when I 'feel' other people's feelings. But regardless I won't let that get in the way of preparing these children for the real world. But while we are here this house is a haven. For them, for us. Thank you for your words my friend. They do help.
Charles


Charles,
You know I'm only here because you asked.
Erik.


Erik,
I know, and I won't force you to do anything you don't want to. I'm here to help you as much as them Erik.
Charles


Charles,
Very touching. Have the children gone to bed yet? I will say this for your 'house' - at least distance makes them quieter. Mostly.
Erik.


Erik,
Raven is settling them down now. She seems to have the logistics sorted out.
Charles


Charles,
Does that mean you're going to stop hovering now?
Erik.


Erik,
I'll join you presently.
Charles

No comments:

Post a Comment